If you do what you love, the money will follow...right?

December 30, 2008

Using our powers for good

So, I know I've got a lot of knitting on my plate already...but this morning as I browsed my usual blogroll I came across a number of cause-related items that made me want to do more. I've chosen things that I can do in my spare time, with scrap yarn and almost no effort...
  • HelpSudan: pencil cases to raise money for (and be used by) children in the Sudan
  • KnitOneSaveOne: a Save the Children program collecting hats for low-birthweight babies (which especially hit home because Mia was only 4lbs13oz when she was born and I know how delicate those infants are). I may even sponsor an event in 2009.
I just finished working on a 2009 family budget, so I know that I don't have a lot of money. But, compared to 95% of the world? And, I decided that I couldn't NOT sacrifice some of my personal spending for a worthy cause (teach by example, right?).
I've chosen Tricoteuses san Frontieres. Knitters donating to Medecins San Frontieres have raised more than half a million dollars in just a short time. I've been thinking about MSF since last spring when I saw a 60 Minutes show and went to an event raising money to produce "plumpynut," a therapeutic ready-to-use food that's saving lives...a miracle food, really. My $10 a month commitment was made this morning.

Spread the word...crafters are caring people and we CAN make a difference.

No comments: